Tag: Jalyn

World Cup 2019: We’ll persist with Rishabh Pant at No. 4, says Sanjay Bangar

first_img Reuters BirminghamJuly 1, 2019UPDATED: July 1, 2019 18:21 IST Pant made his debut in Sunday’s loss to England, scoring 32 (AP)HIGHLIGHTSRishabh Pant made 32 against England on SundayPant is likely hold his place in the playing 11 after Vijay Shankar was ruled out of the World CupSanjay Bangar feels that the left handed Pant will come handy in the middle oversIndia will persist with Rishabh Pant at number four in the batting order to avail the left-right advantage in the middle overs, assistant coach Sanjay Bangar said ahead of Tuesday’s Cricket World Cup group match against Bangladesh.The twice champions were left without a left-hander in the top half of their batting order after a fractured finger ended opened Shikhar Dhawan’s World Cup.Pant was flown in as Dhawan’s replacement and the 21-year-old finally made his debut in Sunday’s loss to England, scoring 32 after some nervous running between the wickets early in his knock.”I felt he had a decent innings,” Bangar told reporters at Edgbaston. “He got 32 and played a couple of good shots, got a partnership going (with Hardik Pandya), so we’re going to persist with him.”All-rounder Vijay Shankar, who was originally picked in the squad to bat at number four, has been ruled out of the remainder of the ongoing World Cup with a toe injury, the team said on Monday.”The team management was feeling the absence of a left-hander since Shikhar got injured,” Bangar said, explaining the decision to send Pant ahead of Pandya on Sunday.”It was a ploy to use right-left combination in the middle overs to upset the bowling plans. I feel because of that Adil Rashid could not bowl the number of overs he’d have usually bowled.”Known for his six-hitting prowess, Pant hit a century in an Oval test last year and also smashed an unbeaten 159 against Australia in Sydney in January.advertisementSunday’s match was only his sixth one-day international but Bangar said the time Pant spent with the World Cup squad has prepared him for the challenges ahead.”He’s spent close to two weeks with us now. He has done well at the international level, especially in the test format. The one-day format is slightly newer to him,” said Bangar, who played 12 tests and 15 ODIs for India.”We’re trying to help him with the various mindsets and the roles that come with the middle order job, and the importance of the right-left combination… so straightaway he can put the pressure back on the spinners.”It can help the team in a big way. On those lines, we’ve been communicating with him.”India, second in the table with 11 points, need a victory in their final two group matches to qualify for the semi-finals.Also Read | World Cup 2019: Kedar Jadhav likely to be dropped over lack of intent vs EnglandAlso Read | You all wanted Rishabh Pant to play, there he is at No. 4: Rohit Sharma’s epic reply to journalistFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAjay Tiwari Tags :Follow World Cup 2019Follow Rishabh PantFollow Vijay Shankar World Cup 2019: We’ll persist with Rishabh Pant at No. 4, says Sanjay BangarRishabh Pant who replaced Vijay Shankar at No. 4 in the Indian batting order against England, is likely to continue at the position after the latter was ruled out of the World Cup 2019 with a toe injury.advertisement Nextlast_img read more

Tax changes antirich rhetoric have already inspired big fish to leave Manley

OTTAWA — A big Canadian player has quietly picked up his chips and is heading for the exit amid the tumult over the Trudeau government’s controversial tax proposals.A business owner has informed John Manley, the head of an organization representing Canada’s largest corporations, that he has moved billions of dollars outside the country since the Liberals formally proposed their tax changes in mid-July.The government’s proposals to eliminate several tax incentives have awakened a broad array of vocal opponents — from the small business community, to farmers, to tax planners, to professionals like doctors and lawyers. Some backbench Liberal MPs have also publicly expressed their concerns.In the background, the Liberals’ proposed tax reforms are also seen as a threat by a much-smaller, more-silent group of Canadians: wealthy leaders of big business.Manley, a former Liberal finance minister in the Chretien government, said the elements of the government’s plan to tighten rules on passive investment portfolios and the transfer of family businesses have created worries for some members of his organization, the Business Council of Canada.The financial concerns have been compounded by the government’s accompanying messages that Manley believes have “vilified” higher-income Canadians.Many of his members, he added, have been taken aback by rhetoric that they see as pitting the middle class against the wealthy.“I don’t get it at all — I thought that one of the successes of Prime Minister (Justin) Trudeau was that he was the unifier, he was bringing people together,” said Manley, who noted the broader economy would eventually feel the sting of losing too many big job creators.“There’s lots of journeymen hockey players in the NHL, but you still want to have some (Connor) McDavids and (Wayne) Gretzkys and people that are stars.”Manley pointed to one example where a successful business owner has decided to leave Canada with “billions of dollars.”On the advice of tax professionals, he said the individual decided to move the money primarily because of the impacts the reforms could have on his family through changes related to estate planning. Keeping the business in the family would result in a big tax hit.There’s a notion that other big players could soon head for the exits, Manley said.“You won’t know about it because they’re not going to buy ads or report it — they’ll just go.”Manley’s group is calling on the government to hold off on the proposed changes for now to allow for a broader review of the tax system that examines additional goals like making the entire structure less complex.Failing that, he would like to see the feds fix any unintended consequences from the current plan on the table.Finance Minister Bill Morneau first released the three-part tax reform plan in the middle of the summer.He argues that the tax system unfairly encourages wealthy Canadians to incorporate, so they can get a better tax rate than middle-income earners. The government insists the changes would level the playing field, although many disagree.The package includes restrictions on the ability of business owners to reduce their tax rate by sprinkling their income to family members in lower tax brackets, even if those family members do not contribute to the company.Morneau also proposed limits on the use of private corporations to make passive investments that are unrelated to the company. Another change would limit business owners’ ability to convert regular income of a corporation into capital gains, which are typically taxed at a lower rate.The government gave Canadians a 75-day consultation period, ending Oct. 2, to weigh in on the proposals. Morneau insists the government will listen to concerns before it tables legislation and that he expects some of the feedback will lead to changes.If the government’s proposals are introduced as is, University of Calgary tax expert Jack Mintz says there are plenty of options to get around the changes — and he warns they wouldn’t be good for Canada.The reforms are aimed at private Canadian corporations, so Mintz said owners could change their citizenship, or partner with a foreigner or a public corporation to avoid paying more. He said they could also strip some of their firm’s assets while leaving the company itself in Canada.For example, countries like the United Kingdom offer attractive tax incentives for business people looking to move to its shores from abroad, Mintz said.Since Morneau’s tax announcement, Mintz said he knows one big business owner who has taken action and another who is considering it.In these scenarios, he said Canada could not only lose tax revenue but the business leaders themselves, who create jobs and play constructive roles in their communities.“It’s a major blow to the country in a number of ways,” Mintz said.The president of a national small- and medium-sized business federation, which has been one of the most outspoken critics of the tax proposals, said many of his members have been receiving calls from business development organizations in the United States to offer them incentives to move across the border.“There’s all sorts of business immigration programs that are out there encouraging entrepreneurs to pick up and leave,” said Dan Kelly of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.“Canada has to watch out because business owners in lots of areas can be quite mobile.”Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitter read more

Winnie Mandelas former bodyguard jailed for threatening bouncer with meat cleaver

Winnie Mandela’s former bodyguard has been jailed after he brandished a meat cleaver at a bouncer in Portsmouth, as a court heard he had become traumatised by his memories of life in South Africa.Katiza Cebekhulu, 49, was part of the notorious Mandela United Football Club which guarded the anti-apartheid leader during the 1980s while her husband Nelson Mandela was in prison.Cebekhulu vanished a day before he was due to give evidence at Winnie’s 1991 trial for the kidnapping and beating of four youths – the youngest of whom, 14-year-old Stompie Moeketsi, was later found with his throat slit.Winnie was convicted of kidnapping and being an accessory to assault, and Cebekhulu became known as the ‘missing witness’.He came to Britain in 1999 after former MP Emma Nicholson, now Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, fought for his release from a Zambian prison.But now he has been jailed after brandishing a meat cleaver at doormen during a drunken altercation at a bar in Portsmouth. Nelson Mandela with his wife Winnie after his release from prison in 1990Credit:Alexander Joe/AFP Nelson Mandela with his wife Winnie after his release from prison in 1990 “It is very easy for us to judge him on the values of this country we live in today and not that of 1980s South Africa. If you live in a certain culture, then you become a certain way.”  Prosecutor James Kellam told Portsmouth Crown Court: “It was substantial, a proper meat cleaver that was about seven inches long and three inches deep.”He was brandishing it at door staff. They courageously took it off him before he made off.”Cebekhulu, who lives in Portsmouth, admitted two charges of possessing an offensive weapon.Judge Michael Bowes QC branded him “dangerous” and sentenced him to 18 months in prison last week. Howard Barrington-Clark, representing Cebekhulu, said his client drinks to forget his troubled past and “dampen the pain” of the “unbelievable violence” he had witnessed.The solicitor added: “He has kept his nose clean for 15 years and then this happens. He has all the symptoms of someone with post traumatic stress disorder. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. read more