Tag: Anton

PCB defends music-filled PSL closing ceremony despite Christchurch mosque attack

first_img Press Trust of India KarachiMarch 18, 2019UPDATED: March 18, 2019 19:48 IST Pakistan Super League had many music performances for the closing ceremony. (@PSLt20 Photo)HIGHLIGHTSPCB chairman Ehsan Mani said cricket must not stop due to terrorismMani said they did tone down the closing ceremony for Christchurch attackMani said the fourth edition of the PSL had been a big success”Cricket must not be stopped due to terrorism,” PCB chief Ehsan Mani said, defending the decision to organise a music-filled PSL closing ceremony despite terrorist attack on two mosques in Christchurch.The Pakistan Cricket Board is facing public ire for not being sensitive enough considering that at least 50 people were killed during the Friday prayers in the terrorist attack.Mani said the ceremony was actually ‘toned down’.”We acknowledged the incident, observed a minute’s silence, released pigeons and cut out dancing. All the songs too were iconic Pakistani songs,” said Mani.He claimed that Pakistan is the worst victim of terrorism and cricket should not be stopped because of terrorism or terrorists.Mani said that the incident in New Zealand proves that terrorism is a global menace.”We had a dilemma due to the unfortunate New Zealand incident. People forget that we are also the victims of terrorism. Now the world knows what challenges are there. Pakistan’s problems are not different to anyone else’s.Superstar @_fawadakhan_ and dynamic Young Desi on stage with #KhelDeewanoKa. pic.twitter.com/COndBBpnCMPakistanSuperLeague (@thePSLt20) March 17, 2019″It doesn’t mean we should gloat. We will work with them and share our experiences but cricket should not stop. If cricket stops due to terrorism then it’s a victory for the terrorists. Players’ safety is of course important and cannot be risked but the game must go on too.”Mani said the fourth edition of the PSL had been a big success with some 35 foreign players coming to Pakistan to play for their franchises.advertisement”The comfort level of the foreign players while coming to Pakistan is different now from two years back. They now want to move and explore the city and meet the people.”The most impressive bit was how the Karachi crowd supported us. Some 200,000 came to watch these matches, and from what I believe, 150 million saw the matches on TV.”This was a remarkable endorsement of PSL. Due to the geo-political situation, it was important that we demonstrated that Pakistan is capable of holding such an event.”Mani said they had invited security experts from other countries so they can themselves see how we organise PSL.Also Read | Pakistan Super League: Quetta Gladiators win maiden title in one-sided finalAlso Read | PCB pays USD 1.6 million to BCCI after losing case in ICC’s Dispute Resolution CommitteeFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow Pakistan Cricket BoardFollow Pakistan Super LeagueFollow Ehsan ManiFollow Christchurch mosques terror attack PCB defends music-filled PSL closing ceremony despite Christchurch mosque attackPakistan Cricket Board is being criticised for having a closing ceremony of the Pakistan Super League despite the horrific Christchurch mosque attack on March 15.advertisementlast_img read more

Billions down the drain as new nuclear plants scrapped

FILE – This April 9, 2012 file photo shows construction well underway for two new nuclear reactors at the V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in Jenkinsville, S.C. South Carolina’s state-owned public utility has voted to stop construction on two billion-dollar nuclear reactors. The reactors were set to be among the first new nuclear reactors built in the U.S. in decades, but the vote by Santee Cooper’s board on Monday, July 31, 2017 likely ends their future. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Collins) by Seanna Adcox, The Associated Press Posted Jul 31, 2017 11:17 am MDT Last Updated Jul 31, 2017 at 4:00 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Billions down the drain as new nuclear plants scrapped COLUMBIA, S.C. – Billions of dollars spent on two new nuclear reactors in South Carolina went up in smoke Monday when the owners nixed plans to finish them after years of delays and cost overruns, dealing a severe blow to the industry’s future.The reactors were set to be among the first built in the U.S. in decades. While the decision will save customers billions in additional costs, customers of the two utilities — Santee Cooper and South Carolina Electric & Gas — may get little to nothing refunded of the billions they’ve already paid for the now-abandoned project.“I’m disappointed today not just for Santee Cooper and its customers but for our country and the industry as a whole,” said Santee Cooper CEO Lonnie Carter. “If you really believe we need to reduce carbon, this was the way to do it.”Energy demands are far less than the utility’s pre-Great Recession projections that factored into the initial decision to build.But Monday’s decision may eventually result in the utility putting a coal-fired unit idled earlier this year back in operation. Another option for supplying power needs in the decades to come include building a natural gas unit.“Absolutely, this pushes us back to more carbon, whether it’s natural gas or coal,” Carter said.Santee Cooper’s board said the decision to end construction will save customers an estimated $7 billion. The utility had already spent about $5 billion for its 45 per cent share of the project, and completing it would have cost an additional $8 billion, plus $3.4 billion in interest.“I’m not celebrating,” said Tom Clements of Friends of the Earth, which has questioned the project from the outset. “This is a sad day for South Carolina. So much money has been wasted. Ratepayers are losers any way you take it.”He said the group will work to “get to the bottom line of how this happened, who’s responsible” and what that means for customers.Gov. Henry McMaster called for legislators to hold hearings to get customers’ questions answered.The project has been shrouded in doubt since earlier this year, when primary contractor Westinghouse filed for bankruptcy protection.The utilities have since determined the project likely wouldn’t have been finished until 2024. Under a timeline adopted in 2012, the first reactor was supposed to be operational earlier this year. Westinghouse hasn’t been forthright since, according to Santee Cooper.South Carolina Electric & Gas, which owns 55 per cent, announced its plans shortly after Santee Cooper’s unanimous vote. SCANA, SCE&G’s parent company, will seek approval from regulators Tuesday about their abandonment plans.Under the approved Santee Cooper resolution, all work will end within six months. How quickly within that timeframe workers at the site will lose their jobs is uncertain.About 5,000 people are employed at the site by contractors and subcontractors. SCE&G employs an additional 600 workers for the project, according to the utility.The utilities announced last week that Westinghouse’s parent company, Toshiba Corp., agreed to jointly pay them $2.2 billion regardless of whether the reactors are ever completed.Santee Cooper will use its $1 billion share from Toshiba — to be collected between October and 2022 — to lower customers’ future costs, Carter said. But it’s unclear if that will translate to lower bills. Rates are rising due to environmental projects, and the money could offset either those costs or debt, Carter said.SCE&G will use the money to ensure customers see no increase in their bills for at least the next several years, SCANA CEO Kevin Marsh told investors Monday afternoon.But another unknown is whether Toshiba will actually pay. In May, the Tokyo-based company projected a 1.01 trillion yen ($9.2 billion) loss for the fiscal year that ended in March.The reactors were planned for the V.C. Summer Nuclear Station north of Columbia. Construction contracts with Westinghouse were signed in 2008, and the project was so far about one-third completed.Environmental groups have called on state regulators to order SCE&G to abandon the projects. They also want customers to be refunded at least some of the billions they’d paid upfront through rates that have increased yearly since 2009. A hearing on that request is set for October.A 2007 state law allows electric utilities to collect money from customers to finance a project before it generates power. Construction now accounts for 18 per cent of the electric bills of SCE&G’s residential customers.Santee Cooper has increased rates five times to pay for the escalating costs. But the Public Service Commission has no authority over the state-owned utility.Whether the commission can order the utility to refund customers and how much are matters of debate. That could require proof the utility gave regulators faulty information.Last month, Toshiba agreed to pay $3.7 billion toward two nuclear reactors in Georgia that also were being built by Westinghouse. read more