Court decision likely to prompt additional delays for Atlantic Coast, Mountain Valley pipeline projects FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:The two biggest U.S. natural gas pipelines under construction are likely facing more delays after an appeals court ruling against the Army Corps of Engineers, energy analysts said.The Trump administration has pressed ahead with new pipeline construction, but several projects have been stalled by successful legal challenges saying the administration is not applying careful regulatory scrutiny.Last month, a Montana judge ruled the Army Corps authorized permits to cross streams without properly consulting other federal agencies on endangered species. Rather than limit its ruling to the Keystone XL crude pipeline case before the court, the judge questioned the Army Corps’ method of authorizing stream crossing under the entire National Permit 12 program.The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday left that ruling in place, which will likely prevent Keystone and other pipelines from using Army Corps’ stream crossing permits until the appeals court decides in early 2021, the analysts said.It means the two biggest gas pipes under construction – Dominion Energy Inc’s Atlantic Coast and EQM Midstream Partners LP’s Mountain Valley – are likely to be delayed by several more months.[Scott DiSavino]More: Court ruling in Keystone XL case another blow to big U.S. pipelines, say energy analysts
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday congratulated team India for winning their World Cup match against Pakistan, with an apparent reference to Indian military’s recent strikes inside the neighbouring country.”Another strike on Pakistan by #TeamIndia and the result is same. Congratulations to the entire team for this superb performance. Every Indian is feeling proud and celebrating this impressive win,” the minister tweeted.Shah was probably referring to Indian military’s strike against terror outfits in Pakistan during the last tenure of the Narendra Modi government. On February 26, India had carried out an air strike on terror launch pads in Pakistan in response to the February 14 Pulwama terror attack on a CRPF convoy.Earlier in 2016, India had carried out a surgical strike inside Pakistani territory to demolish terror launch pads near the border. The strike was India’s response to a terror attack on an Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Uri.In one of the biggest encounters of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, India on Sunday thrashed Pakistan by 89 runs (DLS method) in a rain-affected game. With the victory, India extended its winning streak against Pakistan in the World Cup to 7-0.After winning the toss, Pakistan invited India to bat first in overcast English conditions at Old Trafford in Manchester. India started carefully and then blasted the Pakistan bowlers to reach a total of 336, courtesy Rohit Sharma’s stunning century and crucial half centuries by KL Rahul and Virat Kohli.Chasing the target, Pakistan lost their opener Imam-ul-Haq early in the innings. He was removed LBW by Vijay Shankar who struck on his very first ball of the World Cup. However, after the first wicket, Fakhar Zaman (62) and Babar Azam (48) stitched a good 104-run partnership for the second wicket to keep Pakistan in the contest.However, a brilliant delivery from Kuldeep Yadav removed Babar on the last ball of 24th over. After Babar’s wicket, the Pakistani team was all over and lost their next three batsman in for just 12 runs. They ended their innings at 212-6 in 40 overs and lost the game by 89 runs. For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
But what does the city’s leadership do? It commits a possibly game-changing error, giving the tenant a one-year lease extension … for absolutely nothing.That’s the gift the city just gave the Anaheim Angels — a business that’s been relatively rude to the city, even dropping “Anaheim” from the franchise’s identity.Let me employ way too many baseball analogies to help you understand this governmental “wild pitch.”Let’s just say, economically speaking, the ballclub was down to its last strike and far behind on the scoreboard, too. The Angels had absolutely no options for home games after the 2019 season ended. None. Zippo.All the city had to do was play a little hardball — you know, toss some head-high pitches, in financial terms — and the negotiating ballgame was easily won. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error PreviousAnaheim Ducks mascot Wild Wing give high-fives to Angels fans before a game against the Indians at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Tuesday, September 19, 2017.(Photo by Kyusung Gong, Orange County Register/SCNG)Angel’s Albert Pujols, left, gets a handshake from owner Arte Moreno in the dugout prior to the Freeway Series game against the Dodgers at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Sunday, March 25, 2018. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)ANAHEIM, CA – SEPTEMBER 25: Mike Trout #27 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim watches the ball leave the stadium after a solo homerun hit by Joey Gallo #13 of the Texas Rangers during the third inning of a game at Angel Stadium on September 25, 2018 in Anaheim, California. (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images) SoundThe gallery will resume insecondsThe Big A at Angel Stadium of Anaheim sits on the east side of the parking lot next to the 57 Freeway. The giant A, complete with light-up halo, was the Angel’s scoreboard when the stadium opened in 1966. The $1 million, 230 feet tall scoreboard was the largest built at the time. The Big A was moved to it’s present location in 1980. (File photo by Jeff Gritchen, Orange County Register/SCNG)Angels owner Arte Moreno hired a new team manager and exercised the stadium opt-out clause with Anaheim. (File Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)Arte Moreno, 71, from Phoenix, is worth $2.5 billion primarily because he turned wealth created by a billboard company into his ownership of the Anaheim Angels. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)Former Angels pitcher and first draft pick Eli Grba,left, with owner Arte Moreno during opening day ceremonies before a major league baseball game between the BluJays and the Angels at Angel Stadium on Friday, April 8, 2011, in Anaheim. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Keith Birmingham/SPORTS)Angels’ owner Arte Moreno talks with Jose Mota, at left, during Spring Training workouts at the Tempe Diablo Stadium complex in Tempe on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan/Orange County Register/SCNG)Former Angels pitcher and first draft pick Eli Grba during opening day ceremonies before a major league baseball game between the BluJays and the Angels at Angel Stadium on Friday, April 8, 2011, in Anaheim. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Keith Birmingham/SPORTS)A rider takes a jump during a practice session for the opening event of the Monster Energy Supercross season at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, CA on Friday, January 4, 2019. (Photo by Paul Bersebach, Orange County Register/SCNG)A selection of Saint Archer beers, a Blackberry Gose, a Saint Angels lager, an Imperial Red and the Saint Archer Pale Ale, from left, during a media event previewing the new eats at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Friday, March 30, 2018. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan/Orange County Register/SCNG)Opening Day merchandise is previewed at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Friday, March 30, 2018. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan/Orange County Register/SCNG)Fans cheer for the Los Angeles Angels’ Shohei Ohtani during their game against the Houston Astros at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Wednesday, May 16, 2018. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)Angel Stadium fans cheer as Albert Pujols takes off on his 600th home run trot.The Angels were playing the Minnesota Twinsin Anaheim, CA on Saturday, June 3, 2017. (Photo by Bill Alkofer,Orange County Register/SCNG)Anaheim Ducks mascot Wild Wing give high-fives to Angels fans before a game against the Indians at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Tuesday, September 19, 2017.(Photo by Kyusung Gong, Orange County Register/SCNG)Angel’s Albert Pujols, left, gets a handshake from owner Arte Moreno in the dugout prior to the Freeway Series game against the Dodgers at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Sunday, March 25, 2018. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)NextShow Caption1 of 14Angel’s Albert Pujols, left, gets a handshake from owner Arte Moreno in the dugout prior to the Freeway Series game against the Dodgers at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on Sunday, March 25, 2018. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)ExpandThe city of Anaheim had in its sights what old-time baseball folks would call a “can of corn” — an easy-to-catch fly ball.But the city dropped the game clincher.Anaheim owns a quarter-square-mile or so of prime, transit-close real estate. The current tenant — a high-profile enterprise owned by a billionaire — is paying, relatively speaking, not much to use the property.This tenant actually opted out of its sweet lease, giving the city an easy “out” — a “walk-off,” to boot, letting the often-cantankerous renter walk away so Anaheim could reap the rewards as a landowner in a county where developable dirt sells at a steep premium. The city could have forced the Angels to make massive economic concessions to stay … or at least pay something to get this near-deadline bargaining into “extra innings.”If not, the city could declare “victory” and regain control of the valuable asset.Instead, the city chose to toss a soft pitch to the financially sound ball team. An oddly timed “intentional walk” — in baseball terms, a strategic gift or free pass — came in the form of giving the team more time it didn’t have to negotiate a new stadium lease.The city played this bargaining session like a team needing some come-from-behind Rally Monkey magic when it was clearly winning the game. The newly reconstituted city council — now leaning pro-business after recent elections — once again proved that business-friendly politics often lacks economic logic.How else can you explain the free surrender of huge bargaining leverage to owner Arte Moreno and his baseball franchise, last valued by Forbes magazine at $1.8 billion?I’ve covered supposedly “win-win” public-private partnerships for way too long to know that for taxpayers these deals are commonly seen as “heads, the business wins; tails, the city loses.”And a key reason is that far too often municipalities just can’t say “No” and walk away when the opportunity arises. Politicians take too much comfort in status quo, no matter the cost — or the squandered opportunity.One could argue that having the Angels leave Anaheim isn’t an economic “grooved pitch” — an easy one to hit — because the real estate business often throws a curve or two. Yes, there are no guarantees in trying to replace the people magnetism of the team and the stadium, which draw millions to the city.On the other hand, Anaheim already has a fairly deep lineup of people-grabbing stars. You know, like Disneyland. And pro hockey’s ANAHEIM Ducks.And please tell me what’s the taxpayer’s true cost of the city being in the baseball business, albeit playing at the most-risky/little-upside part of the field?It’s said that after paying for various slices of upkeep and current operations, Angel Stadium is proportionally not much more than a break-even proposition for taxpayers. And supposedly the stadium needs $150 million or so in upgrades to stay “competitive” with other ballparks.If it was up to me, I’d tell the Angels thanks for the memories and list the stadium property for sale as a “tear down” investment. Yeah, it’s not as sexy as “swinging for the fences” by dreaming of another real estate “grand slam” — the city-overseen creation of some super urban entertainment center surrounding the ballpark. (How’d nearby GardenWalk pan out?)But I’d rather play “small ball” and accept a mere “single” — cashing in on a strong real estate market, especially with a land-starved institution (ahem, Walt Disney Co.) operating two theme parks just down Katella Avenue.Sign up for The Home Stretch newsletter. Get weekly housing news on affordability, renting, buying, selling and more. Subscribe here.Why not set an example for the entire state — trade the lure of chasing retail tax dollars for the societal opportunity of getting more housing built?And just because the city opted for extra innings, Anaheim isn’t a lost cause. Perhaps city leaders can use its home-field advantage to negotiate somewhere near a true winning deal with Moreno and his Los Angeles-themed Angels.But I’m still rooting for a “walk-off” result!I’ll bet sale proceeds of the stadium property could easily halve the city’s significant pension-liability burdens, for example. A 2016 appraisal valued the stadium land as high as $325 million. And Orange County real estate hasn’t gotten any cheaper since!That’s a bounty that could allow Anaheim do what cities do best — you know, the municipal and civic basics like constituency services, public safety, transportation along with its extensive convention and tourism promotional roles.Leave the pitching and catching of economic development to the private sector.
The Dodgers, Yankees, Braves and Astros, amongst others, have been linked to Syndergaard, as well.The Mets are six games out of the second National League wild-card spot with a 50-55 record. They acquired Marcus Stroman from the Blue Jays on Sunday in exchange for two pitching prospects. New York is “fully intent on dealing” Syndergaard, who was an All-Star as a 23-year-old in 2016, before the July 31 trade deadline, rival executives told ESPN last week.Rival evaluators say they believe the Mets are fully intent on dealing Noah Syndergaard before the trade deadline. “It’s beyond listening,” said one. “They want to move him.”— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 25, 2019″I’m trying not to pay too much attention to (the trade rumors),” Syndergaard said earlier this month, via MLB.com. “As of right now, I love being a Met. If something were to ever change, it would definitely be bittersweet just because New York City itself, the fanbase and just the guys in this clubhouse have a special place in my heart.”The Mets are also reportedly exploring moving Jason Vargas, Edwin Diaz, Todd Frazier and Zack Wheeler — although New York may also look to sign him to an extension if it trades Syndergaard.“We are going to be open-minded,” Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen told reporters in mid-July. “We are going to be thoughtful and measured in terms of what we do as we approach the deadline, all with the eyes on trying to improve this club.” Yankees trade rumors: New York ‘willing to consider’ moving Clint Frazier, Miguel Andujar for starter The Padres are reportedly pursuing Mets starter Noah Syndergaard, but the sides appear far away from completing a deal.San Diego’s offers for the 26-year-old right-hander have been “especially light,” according to a report from MLB Insider Jon Heyman. Padres, Braves and to a lesser degree Astros have been cited as potential landing spots for Syndergaard due to nice farm systems. To this moment offers of Padres — who seek a starter with contract control to lead their staff — are said to be especially light.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 28, 2019The Padres are “not optimistic” about landing Syndergaard and New York’s price tag for him is “too steep for their taste,” according to USA Today. The #Padres are not optimistic about acquiring Noah Syndergaard in a trade with the #Mets, believing the pricetag remains too steep for their taste.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 29, 2019Syndergaard has regressed in 2019 as he holds a 7-5 record with a 4.33 ERA in 20 starts. But, he remains an attractive asset because he’ll be under team control through the 2021 season. Related News
What would have been a serious disaster missed residents of Buzzy Quarter on January 11, 2014 when the brakes of a container truck failed and its driver lost control.The truck came from the road crossing Capitol Bypass stretching down to the former Ministry of Labor.Eye witnesses told the Daily Observer that they saw the truck passing by without knowing that it had mechanical problems. Much to their surprise, it suddenly crashed into the fence surrounding the old Ministry of Labor building undergoing renovation.The slum community of Buzzy Quarter is home to hundreds of residents, many of which sell along the roadside while others have their provision centers near the very area where the truck crashed.The level of damage caused by the truck has not been made clear. However, when the Daily Observer reached the scene of the accident, the broken window glasses were shattered on the side where the wreckage of the truck is still parking.When the police were contacted on January 13, 2014, spokesperson Sam Collins said the Accident Division was still compiling its report to order the driver and company that owns the truck to court.According to Mr. Collins, container trucks are not allowed to ply the streets of Monrovia until the evening hours when traffic is less busy. The driver refused to abide by this rule and bypassed the main road leading to the central part of the city.Mr. Collins said the driver is in custody awaiting a court date, and they were still assessing the damage done to the building to establish the cost.He stressed that there is a restriction on containers plying the streets in the day until 6 p.m. when traffic has reduced in the streets.He warned all to abide by the restriction to avoid embarrassment with the police.Even though the police spokesman admitted to the rule being in place to restrict containers from plying the streets of Monrovia, it remains quite challenging for this restriction to be maintained.At most times in the day, 20 or 40-foot containers are seen plying streets and delivering goods from the seaport.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)