Tag: 上海夜网GI

Stay Order Lifted, Supreme Court Cites Separation of Powers

first_imgThe Supreme Court of Liberia late Saturday afternoon ruled to lift the stay order it earlier imposed on all activities relating to the Special Senatorial Elections scheduled for December 16 this year. The decision was reached in a 3 against and 2 in favor of the Stay Order. Those in favor of the stay order — Associate Justices Philip Banks and Kabineh Ja’Neh — argued that the Ebola epidemic, due to which the state of emergency was declared, resulting in the suspension of several constitutional rights, including the the postponement of the October 14 Special Senatorial Elections, still exists. They further argued that the National Elections Commission have so far not put in place any safety measures relating to campaign activities, which are expected to create large gatherings of people, and pose a threat to the gains Liberia has made so far in the fight against the spread of Ebola. If the elections go on, they further argued, it would undermine the safety guidelines put in place by local health authorities and international partners. Those ruling against the stay order, including Associate Justices Jamesetta Wolokolie and Sianeh Yuoh, with Chief Justice Francis S. Korkpor serving as a tie-breaker, argued that the issues raised in the petitions called into reference the separation of powers. The Ebola situation in Liberia, they said, is a political matter — not a constitutional matter — and therefore should be the responsibility of the Executive and Legislative branches of government to decide vis-a-vis elections. Therefore the Supreme Court stay order to halt elections activities could not hold. All justices agreed, however, that the Executive, in consultation with the Legislature, can set elections dates. Interestingly, there were three different petitions for the stay order before the Supreme Court. The most prominent of them, by the party incling Rev. Emmanuel Z. Bowier, Blamo Nelson, the National Democratic Coalition, Movement for Progressive Change and Milton and Nathaniel Barnes, was thrown out because the Supreme Court said the the petitioners did not follow the right procedures in filing the petition. The lawyer representing that party, Cllr. Lavelah Supuwood, who is also a former associate justice of the Supreme Court, was therefore fined US$300 for ‘misleading’ his clients. Also, the request of Ministry of Justice to dismiss the petition for a stay order on the elections activities was denied by the High Court because it was filed too late. The other petitioners, which include: Justice for Public Interest Consortium of Africa; as well as Cllr. Edwin Martin, who filed as an eligible voter, were the two petitioners whose filings were accepted and ruled upon by the Supreme Court. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Jose Mourinho: I WILL return to management in the summer

first_img Jose Mourinho was ringside was at the Anthony Joshua-Charles Martin fight 1 Jose Mourinho has reiterated his desire to return to management in the summer.The Portuguese has been out of work since being sacked by Chelsea for a second time in December, and has been persistently linked with Manchester United.Louis van Gaal remains in position at Old Trafford and there has been no comment from the club to suggest that will change, but the Mourinho rumours persist.However, Mourinho – who has turned down an offer to coach the Syrian national side – says he is ready to come back in the summer.Speaking to Sky Sports News at the Anthony Joshua-Charles Martin fight, he said: “(Van Gaal) is my friend, I worked with him for a few years. I am always linked with jobs and in the summer I will have a job, but in this moment I can promise you I do not have a contract with any club.”On the approach from Syria, he said: “They (The Syrian FA) published (the offer) on their website the letter they sent to my agent. That one I have to say is true, but I have to say in a very special way we said we were not interested in the job.“I have made this exception to speak with you (the media) because I didn’t speak for a long time, but I am going back to the same position. The only thing I can say is I don’t have a contract with any club but in the summer I will be back.”Mourinho’s second Chelsea departure came after a terrible start to the defence of their title – the third Barclays Premier League crown won by Mourinho.He has been linked with jobs all around the world since leaving Chelsea, but says he would prefer to return to work in England.The 53-year-old added: “I am not in position to turn down (jobs). I am in a position to analyse, this is April, everything starts in July, every decision is made between May and the start of June.“I am not in a position to deny, I am open to any club, national team, but I have to be honest, if possible, a club.“I would prefer (to stay England). I love the country, the football here, my family is very stable and happy.”last_img read more