The former Head of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Unit, Motie Dookie, who was entwined in an alcohol smuggling scandal late last year was on Tuesday last sent on “special leave” with pay, following directions from Government.A Police source confirmed that the directive was made by a Government Minister. Less than two weeks ago, although the investigation was ongoing into the smuggling allegation, Dookie was posted to A Division (Georgetown-East Bank Demerara) as one of the five Sub Divisional Officers.Earlier this year, Dookie was removed from his post as the Commander of the SWAT Unit, pending the outcome of an investigation into alcohol smuggling that heFormer SWAT Head, Motie Dookiewas implicated in.According to information at the time, on December 31, 2017, Dookie was taken into Police custody at the Whim Police Station and placed under close arrest after 30 cases of illegal whiskey was discovered in a vehicle in which he was travelling.The discovery was made when officers stopped the minibus on the Whim Public Road, Corentyne, Berbice, to conduct a routine search.Dookie reportedly told the Police that there were only 10 cases of whiskey but a search later unveiled that there were actually 30 cases.A source at the time told iNews that following interrogation by officials attached to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Dookie “was not able to provide us with all the necessary documentation but is insisting that there was no wrongdoing on his part. We have questioned the driver of the minibus too. He said the alcohol was to be used at a party.Dookie was not given permission to leave Georgetown by his commanding officer. At that time, the former SWAT Head had only been at his appointed post for three months following the dismissal of his predecessor, Deputy Superintendent Lonsdale Withrite.
Proprietor of Liquor Love Bar, Savita Persaud was on Tuesday remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan whom she stood before in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to four counts of Trafficking In Persons charges.Remanded: Savita PersaudPersaud, of Station Street, Kitty, Georgetown, denied the charges which stated that during January 31 and March 8, 2019, she unlawfully recruited, transported and withheld the identification papers of two Venezuelans for sexual exploitation.The defendant was also slapped with two counts of Trafficking In Persons during the same period. Additionally, she was charged with employing a child on a property that sells liquor.Defense Attorney George Thomas in a bail submission told the court that his client rented the property to the Venezuelans and is innocent of the trafficking accusations.However, the prosecutor opposed bail on the grounds of the serious nature, prevalence and the penalty that the offence attracts.As such, the prosecution’s submission was upheld by the Chief Magistrate who remanded the woman to prison.The matter will continue on March 15, 2019.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Prosecutors filed 11 new sex-related charges Wednesday against an employee of an upscale grocery store in Beverly Glen who had already been accused of attacking two women in the Van Nuys area. The new felony counts against Fernando Lopez-Garcia include one count of attempted forcible rape stemming from an alleged June 8 attack and two counts of sexual penetration by a foreign object involving different alleged victims on July 16 and Sept. 30, according to the criminal complaint. The 22-year-old man – who worked as a butcher at the Beverly Glen Marketplace – also is charged with six new misdemeanor counts of sexual battery involving six separate victims between June 20 and Oct. 10. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.
DONEGAL SFC: THREE second-half goals for St Michael’s ensured a comfortable win for Eddie Harkin’s side after a closely fought first-half. Four Masters got off to a dream start when they found the net after just four minutes.Good build up play involving Karl Lacey, Barry Dunnion and Barry Monagahan released Michael Doherty. His fisted effort at a point looped over St Michael’s goalkeeper Mark Anthony McGinley and hit the crossbar.But Sean O Kennedy was on hand to blast home and give the home side a dream start.St Michael’s responded well and quickly levelled after a free from Colm McFadden and two great points from play by Christy Toye.Andrew Kelly who was superb throughout then helped himself to three points (one free) to push St Michael’s three ahead. Daniel McLaughlin notched his first point of the evening to put four between the sides before Four Masters responded through a fine point from Sean O Kennedy.Michael Langan then pointed to give St Michael’s a four-point cushion at half-time.Half-time score: Four Masters 1-01 St Michael’s 0-08St Michael’s completely dominated the second-half and were utterly ruthless after the interval.Points from Andrew Kelly, Michael Cannon and Martin McElhinney put eight between the sides. Then St Michael’s scored a goal through Ciaran ‘The Rock’ Gallagher and that really ended the game as a contest.Gallagher’s initial effort was well thwarted by the Four Masters goalkeeper, but the Donegal Town men were unable to clear their lines and Gallagher finished with his weaker right foot.St Michael’s added further goals through Colm McFadden and Daniel McLaughlin and led at one stage by FIFTEEN points.Four Masters to their credit battled valiantly to the end and scored 1-2 without reply. Michael Doherty dispatched a couple of frees and then scored from the penalty spot with virtually the last kick off the game.St Michael’s have all but secured their passage to the last eight, while Four Masters will need a win in their last match in order to reach the knockout stages.A ruthless and clinical performance from St Michael’s which only reaffirmed their status as genuine championship contenders.Final Score: Four Masters 2-05 St Michael’s 3-12DONEGAL SFC: SECOND-HALF GOALS FOR ST MICHAEL’S ENSURE COMFORTABLE WIN OVER FOUR MASTERS was last modified: August 22nd, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:newsSport
BY CATHAL Mac SUIBHNE, VOICE OF THE DONEGAL FANS: The main bullet points for Donegal to take from Sunday’s glib encounter against Dublin are also the primary lessons they will take from their entire eight match league programme – kick outs were too slow, midfield was destroyed and Ryan McHugh is an exceptional player.We knew all of these things already of course but having those first two highlighted again so starkly is a reminder of the work that needs to be done ahead of the Championship.Alarm bells might be ringing in some quarters after suffering five straight reversals but the amount of games won and performances in general have mirrored all recent league campaigns over the past few years (aside from Donegal’s more straight forward sojourns in Division Two in 2011 and 2014). Indeed, Donegal were close to being relegated in that year of years in 2012. A drilled shot from Jamie Clarke coming off the post instead of nestling in the net in MacCumhaill Park was what kept the team in the top flight that Spring and we all know the story’s happy ending five months later.The average league ratio has usually been three wins from seven but what makes this year look much worse is that all those came at the beginning with nothing but defeats since.So were Donegal right to essentially take a ‘harmless enough’ approach as Rory Gallagher put it in the aftermath? The sides’ championship record would suggest yes, although those who travelled to the capital would be well within their rights to feel a little short-changed.The absurd amount of errors by Donegal smacked of a team that weren’t too fussed and were not totally tuned in. How many times did we see Donegal players dispossessed by a blue jersey that snuck up behind them or came in from the side unnoticed? Awareness, intensity, focus – all traits that would never be absent in a Donegal team going at full tilt. As was famously witnessed in 2014, in order to beat this Dublin team, there has to be manic aggression and complete commitment in every facet of play. A league semi-final couldn’t be further from an All-Ireland last four battle played in front of a heaving Croke Park.Dublin, while not outclassing Donegal or approaching anything like their best form, were much superior in their basic skills execution. They converted straight forward chances in front of the posts, the kind that all inter-county teams would be expected to take.There was a chasm between the teams but more to do with attitude and application rather than footballing ability. We’ve all seen this Donegal team and these players perform to the highest standard imaginable so we know it’s there; it must and will return for championship.As for the league as a whole, after yesterday’s matches it is probably a welcome rule change that will see the semi-finals scrapped from now on. There was no bite or tempo in either game, both resembled training games.There were at least some positives for Rory to take from the game. McHugh’s tireless efforts to break down the Dublin defence couldn’t be faulted and he’s up there with any player in the country right now regarding the impact and influence he exerts every time he takes to the field of play. The McGee brothers were excellent throughout, aside for a momentary lapse which allowed Bernard Brogan to nip in for the game’s only goal. Both Eamon and Neil took it upon themselves early on to instigate almost every Donegal attack as they marauded forward at every opportunity.Their club colleague in defence, Ciaran Gillespie, produced another hugely encouraging display after making his first start against the same opposition on Easter weekend. Gillespie was given the tough task of marking one of the country’s finest, Paul Flynn, but more than held his own.While Flynn was kept relatively quiet, there were plenty others who had the run of Jones Rd. With Stephen Cluxton producing his usual masterclass from his kicking tee, he picked out team-mates at will and Donegal were totally wiped out around the middle. That was also the case with the restarts from the other end of the field and it led to Dublin dominating possession.If a team can’t win their own kick-outs then the opposition is dictating proceedings and controlling the terms of engagement. Often when netminder Mark Anthony McGinley looked out the field, everyone was marked; on the occasions when they were free he was much too slow in his delivery. If there was some sort of grand plan to hide dead-ball strategies from a championship rival then it worked perfectly – Donegal looked a shambles when trying to kick the ball out.So that raises another question – is the poor league / big championship combo the right way to go about things? It is certainly a risky ploy in switching from being not bothered to bothered in the space of a couple of months.Kerry and Dublin contested last year’s All-Ireland final and will now lock horns in the league final. They’ve shown that it is possible to compete in all competitions without having a detrimental effect on their chances in another. Many would feel that every team should go out to try to win every game no matter what is at stake. Perhaps so but we certainly do things differently in Donegal. That’s why the county won an All-Ireland in 2012, that’s why the team has been dining at the top table of Gaelic football in the intervening period.Rory is no mug. He has a plan and it is strictly geared towards June 12th. The next time we see the lads take to the field, phase one of that plan will be unveiled. Until then nothing matters.The next time the team runs out to a crescendo of noise and a green and gold wall of colour in the stands, things will be different. That is in the master plan, league semi-finals in April are not.CATHAL Mac SUIBHNE’S DONEGAL GAA BLOG: ROLL ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP was last modified: April 12th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cathal Mac SuibhnedonegaldublinGAA blog
The victim of a vicious attack in Letterkenny is making a good recovery in hospital.The man, who was savagely attacked at his home in Ard O’Donnell, had been in intensive care at Letterkenny General Hospital.However Donegaldaily.com now understands the man has been transferred from ICU to the High Dependency Unit at the hospital. Gardai are still waiting to interview the man about the attack which happened around 4pm on Tuesday afternoon.Gardai have maintained a presence at the hospital since the victim was rushed there by ambulance.It is believed the victim was attacked with a bottle or a glass by another man who was known to him.A man was arrested and has been interviewed in relation to the attack. VICTIM OF SAVAGE ATTACK TAKEN OUT OF INTENSIVE CARE was last modified: December 28th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ard O’DonnellattackGardailetterkenny
GARDAÍ have arrested one man and investigations are continuing after a high speed car chase involving police on both sides of the Border.A cross-Border alert between Gardaí and the PSNI was triggered last night when a car failed to stop for police in Derry.The vehicle drove at speed into Donegal and was picked up by Gardaí in St Johnston. The car was found abandoned near Raphoe. A man was later arrested running across nearby fields.The incident is the latest involving cross-Border cooperation between the two forces.We understand this has been stepped up in recent weeks in response to criminal gangs operating in the North and targeting people in Donegal.Last week two men and a women suspected of thefts in Dungloe and Glenties were detained in Derry following a text alert. Gardaí and PSNI officers continue to also meet each other on joint Border checkpoints.Below is a picture of one such meeting last week.MAN ARRESTED AFTER CROSS-BORDER CAR CHASE was last modified: November 11th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:chasecross-BorderGardaPSNI
MOORPARK – More than 10,000 visitors are expected this weekend at a Civil War re-enactment with battles, re-creations of military camp life and renditions of key historic moments. “This is the biggest event in Ventura County this weekend,” said Dale Parvin, the event chairman for the Rotary Club of Moorpark, which is sponsoring the re-enactment. More than 800 eighth-graders from Moorpark schools got a preview Friday during a morning tour of the Civil War-era encampment. “This is the first time we’ve ever done this for our students,” said Frank DePasquale, superintendent of the Moorpark Unified School District. “They are just enthralled. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for them.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Cameron Nizil, 14, a student at Chaparral Middle School, said he particularly enjoyed a demonstration of how soldiers fired single-shot rifled muskets. “It’s better than learning in class,” he said. Cindy Kimmick of Sylmar, who helped demonstrate the operation of the muskets, said the students flinched at the noise, but seemed to like the realism. “We aren’t allowed to fire when we go to (educational programs at) the schools,” she said. Some of the students groaned and turned away in disgust at a demonstration of crude Civil War field medical procedures featuring a portrayal of Dr. Mary Edwards Walker, a doctor who received the Medal of Honor. They were told that hundreds of women were involved in the war, some who shaved their heads and posed as men so they could enlist. When a re-enactor portraying Confederate Army Gen. George Pickett explained how he was relieved of command for being away from his post, 13-year-old Mesa Verde Middle School student George Swing said the punishment seemed too harsh, and that Pickett might have been demoted instead. “I’ve studied World War II and Vietnam, and this is very interesting,” Swing said of the Civil War lessons. Crystal West, 13, another Mesa Verde student, said she enjoyed trying some old-fashioned country dancing at the site. “The whole thing is kind of fun and it informs us about the war. We learned a lot,” she said. Spectators today and Sunday can see infantry clashes, cavalry charges, artillery barrages and pyrotechnic explosions through the day, but organizers said the battle at dusk tonight should be particularly spectacular. The event re-enacts some of the most historic engagements of the Civil War, including Bull Run/First Manassas, Cold Harbor, Antietam, and Chancellorsville. This is the fifth year the fundraiser has been held in the Tierra Rejada Valley, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Moorpark, which uses the funds for local organizations to meet community needs. The event includes an actor dressed as Abraham Lincoln reading the Gettysburg Address, a re-enactment of Gen. Lee’s surrender to Gen. Grant, and a re-enactment of the early battles of the war with Stonewall Jackson. Eric Leach, (805) 583-7602 email@example.com IF YOU GO The Moorpark Rotary Club’s Civil War Re-enactment will be held this weekend at Tierra Rejada Ranch, 3370 Sunset Valley, west of the Route 23 Freeway, off the Tierra Rejada Road exit. The gates will open at 10 a.m. both days. Battles will be at noon, 3 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. today and noon and 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $12 for adults, $8 for children 7 years and older, and free for children 6 and under. Call (805) 496-7736 or see www.forttejon.org/moorpark.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!