Winnie Mandela’s former bodyguard has been jailed after he brandished a meat cleaver at a bouncer in Portsmouth, as a court heard he had become traumatised by his memories of life in South Africa.Katiza Cebekhulu, 49, was part of the notorious Mandela United Football Club which guarded the anti-apartheid leader during the 1980s while her husband Nelson Mandela was in prison.Cebekhulu vanished a day before he was due to give evidence at Winnie’s 1991 trial for the kidnapping and beating of four youths – the youngest of whom, 14-year-old Stompie Moeketsi, was later found with his throat slit.Winnie was convicted of kidnapping and being an accessory to assault, and Cebekhulu became known as the ‘missing witness’.He came to Britain in 1999 after former MP Emma Nicholson, now Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne, fought for his release from a Zambian prison.But now he has been jailed after brandishing a meat cleaver at doormen during a drunken altercation at a bar in Portsmouth. Nelson Mandela with his wife Winnie after his release from prison in 1990Credit:Alexander Joe/AFP “It is very easy for us to judge him on the values of this country we live in today and not that of 1980s South Africa. If you live in a certain culture, then you become a certain way.” Prosecutor James Kellam told Portsmouth Crown Court: “It was substantial, a proper meat cleaver that was about seven inches long and three inches deep.”He was brandishing it at door staff. They courageously took it off him before he made off.”Cebekhulu, who lives in Portsmouth, admitted two charges of possessing an offensive weapon.Judge Michael Bowes QC branded him “dangerous” and sentenced him to 18 months in prison last week. Howard Barrington-Clark, representing Cebekhulu, said his client drinks to forget his troubled past and “dampen the pain” of the “unbelievable violence” he had witnessed.The solicitor added: “He has kept his nose clean for 15 years and then this happens. He has all the symptoms of someone with post traumatic stress disorder. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedCummings Lodge fire leaves 2 families homelessJanuary 12, 2017In “latest news”Another home goes up in flames leaving 6 persons homelessFebruary 16, 2017In “latest news”Fire guts East Ruimveldt range houseJuly 13, 2017In “latest news” Police are now investigating the cause of a fire in Middle Street, Georgetown earlier this afternoon, which has now left two persons homeless.Based on reports received, the incident occurred around 14:00hrs on Sunday, as the owner of the lot 183 Middle Street, Georgetown home was eating mangoes in front of his two story wooden and concrete house.The man, Colin Clarke told Inews that while he was standing in front of his yard, he noticed smoke coming from behind the house but wasn’t alarmed “because [he] didn’t think it was coming from [his] home.”Colin ClarkeHowever, as time passed and the smoke got thicker, Clarkes said that he walked towards the entrance of his home but found that it was blanketed by fire.He explained that he tried with all his might to enter the home in order to retrieve his belongings.Clarke, who subsequently called the fire service just before alerting his neighbours related that nothing in the home could have been saved.Fire fighters and neighbours worked diligently to contain the firePublic spirited persons came out and formed a bucket brigade in an attempt to save his home, he said, while noting that even though the members of the Guyana Fire Service worked diligently to save his home, it was completely destroyed by the disastrous blaze.Inews understands that the fire may have started in a bedroom in the bottom flat of the house.Clarke’s wife, with whom he lives, was at church when the incident occurred.
A New York-bound cocaine mule was intercepted at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) Timerhi, on Monday evening as she was about to travel with her 11-month-old baby. Natasha BlairThe suspect has since been identified as 37-year-old Natasha Blair, a cosmetologist of Lot 92 Grove-Diamond, East Bank Demerara. According to the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU), Blair used her body to accomplish ‘two risky concealment methods’, that is, ingestion and insertion.It was reported that the mother of one was booked to travel on flight BW 726 to JFK New York and on the day in question, she checked in her luggage at approximately 22:00h. However, while on her way to the departure lounge, she was intercepted by CANU ranks. The woman was then escorted to a city hospital, where the suspected cocaine pellets were displayed in her digestive tract following an x-ray. Moreover, an object inserted in her lower extremity was also observed.As such, Blair was admitted as a patient and one large object suspected to contain cocaine was extracted from her lower extremity. Regarding the ingested pellets seen in her digestive tract, the woman has so-far excreted three cocaine pellets. She remains hospitalised. Her 11-month-old daughter, with whom she was travelling when she was intercepted, has since been handed over to her grandmother.Meanwhile, CANU said that they are now in search of the father of the suspect’s child for questioning into the discovery. He has been identified as Sherwin Stoby called “Kong”. His last know addressed was given as Lot 87 Roxanne Burnham Gardens, Georgetown. The local drug enforcement body is asking anyone knowing the whereabouts of “Kong” to contact the CANU Office at telephone: 227-3507. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Related
This image shows the discoloration of the rice crops which are stuntedOver 120 acres of rice lands being serviced by 15 farmers in villages along the West Coast of Demerara are currently affected by what appears to be a termite infestation on the present rice crop.INews understands that Hague, Den Amstel, and several other villages appear to be hardest hit.According to the farmers, the termites began feeding on their crops about one month ago.Omar Dhanny, a farmer who cultivates about seven acres of land at Hague, said, “A lot of farmers struggling with the same problem. Nobody don’t really know what to do; and the research, we report this thing to the GRDB, (Guyana Rice Development Board) and they sent two extension officers, but nobody like scientists didn’t come around as yet to assist us with our struggles”.Dhanny said he and other farmers have exhausted almost every effort to address the situation, but to no avail. In the same breath, he also explained that the infestation is financial burden.The farmer noted that extension officers from the GRDB Office in Region Three had visited and advised that they spray the crops with a specific pesticide, but this remedy, they noted, also failed.One of the affected rice fieldsAdditionally, he said an ex-staffer who was attached to the National Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) has been trying to help the farmers identify the issue and, hopefully, find a solution.Another farmer, Ganga Persaud, who has been planting rice for about 60 years in the same area, noted that he has never seen such a devastating termite.The frustrated farmer added that when officials from the GRDB Office in Region Three visited their farm lands, they did not find anything, but merely recommended a pesticide.He argued that merely taking samples is not good enough; in this regard, he thinks agronomists and plant pathologists have failed to give answers.In an almost frightened tone the farmer related, “It seems as if the insects have gained resilience against pesticides, because we have tried almost everything…we can till the soil, but we cannot get rid of these things”.It is against that backdrop that the farmers are calling for urgent attention to be given to the specific situation. Several efforts made by this newspaper to contact the GRDB proved futile. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedOver 120 rice farmers’ crops ruined due to breach at MahaiconyJuly 8, 2019In “Environment”$1.5B lost to paddy bug infestation in Region 6April 22, 2019In “Business”Berbice farmers battling paddy bug infestationMarch 9, 2019In “latest news”
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedSeveral homeless following Sophia fireSeptember 5, 2018In “Crime”Fire rips through North Sophia wooden home, 4 homelessAugust 16, 2017In “latest news”Pensioner among four homeless in FireMay 6, 2014In “Crime” A man is now homeless after his home was completely destroyed by fire last night.Forty-one-year-old Quincy Benn, a driver, of ‘B’ Field, Sophia, Greater Georgetown, said he secured his house at around 07:00hrs and went to work.During the evening, he received a call from his neighbour informing him that his house was on fire. By the time he made it back home, his house was already destroyed.The fire is suspected to have stemmed for an illegal electrical connection to the said premises.The matter is being investigated.
Sonic Drill Corp (SDC) is partnering with two companies already serving the Australian and New Zealand markets to bring its award-winning sonic drilling technology to customers ‘down under’. At the beginning of 2013, SDC was contracted by Drilltechniques, a Comacchio dealer based in Queensland, to convert a Comacchio MC900P into a sonic drill. Working closely with Drilltechniques and Comacchio engineering, the MC900P was fitted with a full-capacity Sonicor 50K drill head, high speed coring head and upgraded hydraulic system/controls. The rig went to work at the end of February 2013 at a geotechnical project in Christchurch, New Zealand, but also has potential markets in mineral exploration.An SDC trainer and technician was on site to commission the rig and provide training in correct sonic drilling techniques. The company said that the commissioning was a great success and the client was extremely pleased with the performance of their new rig and the high quality core samples it generated. “This project is an example of what three great companies can achieve by working together,” says Kevin Reimer, sales and operations manager at SDC. “High quality Comacchio rig, advanced SDC sonic technology and Drilltechniques worldclass service and support.” Reimer adds that SDC is looking forward to building more machines with Drilltechniques and Comacchio for the Australia and New Zealand markets.
Last month, Atlas Copco Construction Tools in Essen, Germany, celebrated the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the hydraulic breaker to the mining and construction markets. An innovative idea which originated in the German city of Essen half-a-century ago has transformed the mining industry and is now a worldwide standard. Krupp Berco Bautechnik, acquired by Atlas Copco in 2002, developed the rig-mounted hydraulic breaker and took out a patent in 1963. The first machine, the HM 400, attracted huge interest at the Hannover fair in 1967 and more than 2,000 units were sold.The aim was to save time and labour in mining and demolition operations where, at that time, pneumatic tools were widely used, and the new concept was highly successful. It meant that one person operating a rig-mounted hydraulic breaker could do the same amount of work as several operators with pneumatic tools. This innovation was the start of a major transformation in the construction and mining industries. Today, hydraulic breakers are in general use and dozens of manufacturers around the globe produce machines of this type under a large number of different brands. Tens of thousands of machines are sold around the world each year.Gordon Hambach, Product Line Manager for Power Demolition Tools at Atlas Copco Construction Tools said: “It is our belief that there is always a better way of doing things. That innovative spirit is a vital part of Atlas Copco’s identity, a vital part of our way of conducting business. It is also the driving force, which has made us a leader in our industry. Innovation is the ultimate driver for long-term profitability and growth.”
RMT Trolex presents an exciting set of data around strata management and ground control technology that demonstrates 40%+ increases in productivity and the near elimination of related injury in longwall operations. At the Ninth International Symposium on Field Measurement in Geomechanics RMT Trolex presents a series of studies and field trials of electronic strata monitoring systems that show massive potential benefits to the coal mining industry.Headline figures from the research show an average of 25% uptime in longwall operations resulting in a 40%+ increase in production rates following the installation of an electronic strata monitoring solution. In addition to this a 49% cost-saving was demonstrated through a more intelligent distribution of support collateral and a 65%+ reduction in injury/health related reports through better hazard warning reduced usage of heavy equipment.RMT Trolex Business Manager John Toplis commented “I’m excited by the results of the studies that have been carried out and what this means both in terms of safety in coal mines, but also in the impact on productivity levels at a time when the coal mining industry in under incredible pressure to reduce costs. We can demonstrate a return on investment within two months of installation and revenues improvements of around $2m per annum in a typical mine.”Trolex recently acquired RMT and the company is now looking to take its world-leading strata management solutions to a global market.
Dr Wolfgang Baum is inducted into the International Mining Technology Hall of Fame in the exploration category for 2015. Baum has been a pioneer in process mineralogy, in fact he is a world recognised as a process mineralogist with over 40 years of industrial experience in the mining industry. He is currently director of the Ore Characterization and Process Mineralogy Laboratory at the FLSmidth Minerals Research Test Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.Baum pioneered the first commercial installation of QEMSCAN technology in the USA, operating five QEMSCAN systems in Arizona, and two at a mine site in Peru. He was the leader of a design and engineering team for the installation of the two of the most advanced robotics preparation and analytical laboratories in the USA. He is an innovator in the integration of mineralogical analyses into geo-metallurgical programs for several base metal mining operations in the USA and overseas.He has authored over 70 technical papers, hold two patents, and received the James Douglas Gold Medal award from SME in 2009.Baum left FLSmidth at the end of June and has formed a consulting firm called Ore & Plant Mineralogy LLC.Don’t forget to put your nominations in (to firstname.lastname@example.org) for the 2016 inductions. There are 12 categories:1.Exploration2.Underground development3.Underground Production4.Surface mining5.Comminution6.Concentration7.Mining software8.Safety9.Bulk handling10.Metallurgy11.Environmental management and stewardship12.Outstanding innovator.
SKF has announced the introduction of the LMC 301 controller for lubrication applications where sophisticated control and feedback are required. Designed for use with pumps that have no internal controller, the LMC 301 is very suitable for mining and large process industries.Compatible with single-line, dual-line and progressive lubrication systems, the LMC 301 can operate three different pumps, and each of those pumps can control up to three zones. Because one unit manages up to nine separate zones, fewer controllers are needed, which reduces system investment. Also, each pump can function as a different system type.The versatile LMC 301 is an efficient solution for systems that have lubrication points requiring different lubrication intervals or varying types of grease. This controller can handle multiple greases and diverse temperature ranges, and is ideal for critical bearings where it is essential to know that they have been lubricated properly.SKF also demonstrated a comprehensive range of solutions designed to extend the service life of machinery, improve productivity and reduce unplanned downtime and maintenance in mining.A featured bearing solution is the upgraded SKF Explorer spherical roller bearing. With improved heat treatment, the upgraded SKF Explorer spherical roller bearings can have a service life twice that of the previous industry leading SKF bearings, especially under contaminated or poor lubrication conditions. The upgraded bearing is also available in a sealed version. This protects the bearing from contamination during assembly into the machinery and during operation with considerably less maintenance.In addition, with a new design in the smaller sizes, the sealed SKF Explorer spherical roller bearings have up to 50% less seal friction, resulting in reduced operating temperatures by up to 20 °C, enabling doubled operating speeds.Another solution for the mining and construction industry is the range of SKF Explorer steel/steel plain bearings. With improved corrosion resistance and heavy-duty sealing, these bearings now have a dynamic load rating 50% higher than conventional steel/steel bearings. These bearings can operate maintenance-free and can last significantly longer than even regularly relubricated conventional bearings in applications with low to moderate contamination levels.“SKF continues to improve our products to provide OEM and end user customers increased reliability and reduced maintenance” says Keith Meyers, SKF’s Global Industry Manager Mining, Mineral Processing and Cement. “This improves their productivity and the safety of their workers.“